[ovs-dev] OVN release-related dates

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Fri Jan 10 21:58:51 UTC 2020

Hi,

OVS has entered soft freeze, and OVN should follow suit since we want to
make the first release of standalone OVN (2020.03.0) at the same time as
OVS 2.13.0.

We had a discussion during the IRC OVN meeting yesterday and the
developers present were receptive to declaring soft freeze on January 20
and hard freeze on February 1.

"Soft freeze" means that any new features that we wish to put in OVN
2020.03.0 should have a review posted before then. During the soft
freeze period, we can merge these features into the master branch. On
January 20, I'll post another message to this list about the soft freeze
starting.

Once hard freeze hits, we will create the branch for the release and
begin testing. This means we will not be accepting any new features at
this point. We can, of course, fix bugs that are found during testing.

We will then release OVN 2020.03.0 in March, approximately the same time
as OVS 2.13.0. If we can actually coordinate a simultaneous release,
that would be nice, but I don't think it's a requirement.

If you have any objections to the dates laid out in this e-mail, please
speak up. AFAIK, this should give plenty of time for us to get remaining
features merged and test before release.

Thanks
Mark Michelson