[ovs-dev] OVS-DPDK public meeting

Kevin Traynor ktraynor at redhat.com
Fri Jul 3 14:25:49 UTC 2020

Next meeting Jul 22 1600 UTC

Attendees: Gaetan, Johann, ilya, Marcelo, Simon, David, Hemal, Harsha,
Malvika, Ian, Thomas, Scott, Flavio, Kevin.

Minutes: (a bit late, feel free to correct if I misremembered something)

- OVS 2.14 feature freeze/release dates (Ian)
http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/internals/release-process/#release-scheduling
-- No updates expected to proceed as per normal schedule

-OVS conference (Flavio)
- Virtual even this year
- Could do some breakouts around OVS-DPDK if there is interest
-- Thread on ML if anyone has thoughts to share on a virtual conference
-- https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-discuss/2020-June/050275.html

- Offload Patches (Harsha)
-- VXLAN Encap Full offload patchset, v2 (Mellanox):
https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2020-May/371076.html
-- VLAN Push/Pop Partial action offload patch, v2 (Broadcom):
https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2020-June/371301.html
    --- This one already applied.
-- VXLAN Encap Partial action offload patchset, v3 (Broadcom):
https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2020-May/371107.html
-DPCLS Subtable ISA Optimization (v4)
https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2020-June/371771.html
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/list/?series=184329

- Optimisations (Malvika)
-RFC to be submitted on DPCLS Modularization
-Review Memory Access Optimization for flow scalability patches
https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2020-June/371250.html
-- 40% improvement for phy-to-phy test with 100K flows

Accelerated Mirroring (Ian)
- Have a proof of concept of this on Hwol
- Port to port mirroring
- Can send it to the ML as an RFC
- Flow based mirroring seems to be more useful

OVS branch releases
- Been a while since there was releases on branches
- Some important bugfixes
- We should look at doing this soon
- Ilya will follow up on ML

DPDK stable releases (Ilya)
- 18.11.9-rc testing wip by Ian and team
- Good to update branches to latest validated DPDK stables before
releasing on them
- (edit: some issues around this being discussed on ML)