[ovs-dev] OVS needs to release new stable versions.

Ilya Maximets i.maximets at ovn.org
Tue Jun 30 19:03:28 UTC 2020

On 6/30/20 12:57 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:43:48AM +0200, Ilya Maximets wrote:

>>> I think that it's probably best to take myself out off the critical path
>>> here.  I started out using signed tags because they were easy for me,
>>> since I already had a key in Debian's web of trust.  But I don't know of
>>> a reason why they need to be signed, or signed by a particular key.  I
>>> think it is perfectly reasonable if you push the tags, signed or
>>> unsigned.
>>
>> OK.  I'll do that.
>
> Great.

I was mistaken, 2.11.4 has not been released yet, so we only need to tag 2.11.3.

I created the v2.11.3 tag, signed it and pushed to repository.  And now it
is available on the "Releases" tab on github.

>>> I don't know what you mean by "the collapse of the web of trust".  Did I
>>> miss a memo?
>>
>> It was a reference to Certificate Spamming Attacks happened last year [1],
>> and some consequences like creating new implementations of key servers
>> (keys.openpgp.org) with some design changes in compare with SKS.
>>
>> [1] https://gist.github.com/rjhansen/67ab921ffb4084c865b3618d6955275f
>
> Oh my.  I did see something about that at the time, I think.  Ugh.

>>> I think we should designate a newer "long term stable" release now that
>>> OVN has released separately.
>>
>> Yeah.  That's a good point.  Maybe 2.13 is a good candidate for a new LTS?
>
> I hope so?  I'd really rather not be in the middle of that decision.

For me 2.13 looks good.  But, I guess, the easiest way to decide is to create
a patch and discuss it on a dev mailing list.  I'll send one.

>>> That aside, I have never prepared separate patches for OVS stable
>>> releases.  When I apply bug fixes, I backport them as far as necessary.
>>> It would be a burden to figure this out retrospectively, but it's
>>> usually easy at the time of bug fix.
>>
>> By "Prepare patches for OVS stable releases" I meant patches like this:
>>    * 2ff0b7715 2019-09-06 | Prepare for 2.10.5.
>>    * 5f19eaaf2 2019-09-06 | Set release date for 2.10.4. (tag: v2.10.4)
>
> Oh!  Got it.  Justin used to do most of that work, so I didn't think
> about it.  My part of the job was, typically, acking the patches and
> pushing the tags (I did the latter because I was the one with the GPG
> key).
>
> I suspect that a lot of it could be automated with a script (which would
> probably be more reliable than doing it manually, which I *think* Justin
> probably did).
>
>> But yes, I agree that looking through patches and backport them selectively
>> is too much work and will likely require even more people.  Backporting
>> patches as far as necessary is a good practice. I do that too.
>
> Wonderful!  I was sure hoping that there was not a big backlog of
> patches that might need backporting, since it's much more difficult to
> do it that way in my experience.
>
>> We could do selective backports by request in case something missed, but
>> we should not revisit all the patches while preparing stable releases on
>> older branches.
>
> Yes.

>>> Yes, probably.  At one point Justin and I were definitely the people who
>>> coordinated this, but now if it is left to us then it probably won't get
>>> done, or not done often enough.
>>>
>>> I really need some new people to take the leadership role here.
>>>

>> I could take care of this.  I mean, I could periodically look at numbers
>> of patches on stable branches and prepare minor releases if needed.
>
> That would be fantastic.

OK.  So, in this case point 3 of my proposed plan is on me. :)

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.