[ovs-dev] OVN 20.06 Soft Freeze Today

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Fri May 15 17:21:10 UTC 2020

On 5/15/20 1:12 PM, Ihar Hrachyshka wrote:
> On 5/15/20 12:24 PM, Numan Siddique wrote:
>> On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 8:23 PM Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrachys at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/patch/20200508154425.112544-1-ihrachys@redhat.com/

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Bear with me since I am new to OVN release freeze process. Now that we
>>> approach(ed?) hard freeze, I wonder if there's still a chance to include
>>> the series mentioned above (there's v7 of the same up for review with
>>> one ack), or it will have to slip into a next release. I understand that
>>> not everything raised can - nor should - be included during soft freeze.
>>> On the other hand, I haven't seen much of discussion as to merit of
>>> inclusion of particular patches mentioned in this soft freeze thread.
>>> Did the discussion happen anywhere else? In general, how does the
>>> project decide on which exception requests to grant and which to shelve?
>>>

>> Hi Ihar,
>>
>> Since your patches were submitted before the soft freeze deadline I think
>> they are definitely candidates to be included for 20.06.
>>
>> Even if the branch-20.06 is created, we can backport your patches.
>> I see that you have received Ack from Dumitru for your series.
>>
>> I applied the first 4 patches of your series to master just a while back.
>> I didn't get the chance to review your other 2 patches and I'm also
>> waiting
>> for Han if he has any comments for the other 2 patches.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> BTW to clarify, I don't *complain* about the series not getting merged
> (though I am glad if it does!), just trying to understand if there are
> any other actions I should (have) take(n) to improve chances of timely
> merge before branch cut-off. What I gather from your reply is 1)
> inclusion or non-inclusion is case by case and up to individual core
> contributors, there's no formal group decision; and 2) even after hard
> freeze, feature patches *may* be backported.
>
> Though re 2), on the other hand,
> Documentation/internals/release-process.rst says about the branch
> created on hard freeze: "Release branches are intended for testing and
> stabilization.  At this stage and in later stages, they should receive
> only bug fixes, not new features."

Yes, ideally it would be very rare that we have to backport a feature
after the branch is created.

In your case, your patch was up for review for a while, and you made it
clear that you wanted it included for 20.06. It's on the rest of us to
ensure your patch gets reviewed in time for inclusion. It's not your
fault that we've been slow. You shouldn't get penalized for that.

All that being said, despite the fact that technically today is hard
freeze, I'm not creating the branch for 20.06 until Monday. So if we can
get it in before the end of the day Monday, it shouldn't even require a
backport to the branch. And if there's a compelling reason to delay the
branch creation, then that's fine too. These deadlines are of our own
making, and there's some flexibility built in just in case delays are
required.