[ovs-dev] Big cleanup of OVS patchwork.

Ilya Maximets i.maximets at ovn.org
Tue Sep 1 14:46:56 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

For a last couple of weeks I worked on a script to update statuses of all the
patches in openvswitch patchwork instance [1], i.e. to mark all the patches that
already applied or superseded.

[1] https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/list/

Script is not perfect and makes mistakes sometimes.  To be honest, sometimes
it's really hard even for human to understand which version of the patch was
actually applied and where.  But, at least, it works just fine and it's OK since
no-one will actually do this for thousands of patches by hands.  If you noticed
some weird status update on your patches, please, notify me and we will fix this
and, probably, the script.

So, it was 1880 patches in our patchwork instance yesterday when I started.
Today, after the two script runs and some manual updates there are 260 patches
left.  Most of these are valid, i.e. not reviewed yet or in some undecided
state.  There are still patches that was accepted, but script was not able to
identify them, and also patches that was rejected, but not marked this way.

But anyway, OVS patchwork seems almost usable again. :)

I'm planning to run this script periodically, maybe we could even ask 0-day
robot to do that. :)  But developers are still encouraged to update statuses
of their patches and maintainers are still encouraged to update statuses of
patches they are accepting/rejecting.  Just because script makes mistakes and
it's much easier to update the status while you sill remember what is going on
with it.

Meanwhile, please, open the patchwork and peak some patches to review. :)

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.