[ovs-dev] unexpected ARP sent out with OVS/Openflow rules

Eric Li erictheone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 23:31:08 UTC 2021

Hi All,

We have a setup with br-int and br-tun similar to openstack setup. Using an
openflow rule to forward a vxlan tunnelled packet to another machine, we
set the exact destination IP and destination mac under a group rule.

We are seeing ARP requests for the destination IP unexpectedly. I don't
think OVS is sending those ARP requests, so it would be some linux network
stack that decided to ARP the destination IP even though the destination
mac is already in the packet header.

Questions are:

1. Who trigger this unneeded ARP request?
2. Can we disable this behavior?

Thanks,
Eric