[ovs-dev] meter stats cleared when modify meter bands

Tonghao Zhang xiangxia.m.yue at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 05:46:21 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM ychen <ychen103103 at 163.com> wrote:

> Hi, all:
>     I have a question why meter stats need  cleared when just modify meter bands?
>     when call function handle_modify_meter(), it finally call function dpif_netdev_meter_set(), in this function new dp_meter will be allocated and attched, hence stats will be cleared.
>    if we just update dp_meter bands configuration, so the stats will be keeped when meter modify.
>    Is there any consideration about this meter modify action?
The commit 80738e5f93a70 supports the meter for kernel datapath.
and even though kernel modules support to set stats, but userspace
doesn't set them.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git/commit/?id=96fbc13d7e770b542d2d1fcf700d0baadc6e8063

If needed, we can support this.

Best regards, Tonghao