[ovs-dev] [DISCUSS] CI discussion: travis-ci.org / travis-ci.com

Aaron Conole aconole at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 16:25:34 UTC 2021

Recently, Travis-CI has retired the travis-ci.org service.  At the
moment, it is read-only.  In the future, it may disappear completely.

Currently, Open vSwitch has public facing badges, and documentation,
which heavily refers to the Travis-CI service. (see the
submitting-patches.rst, testing.rst, and README.rst files).  Travis
support was formally added for the 2.4.0 release in August 2015, and had
been heavily used until the deprecation of the 'Free' support tier, in
Dec. 2020, at which point the project switched to using GitHub Actions
for most of the CI support.

Notably, we still make use of Travis for ARM related builds, but as I
understand it the future of that service for FOSS projects is not so
clear.

With that introduction out of the way, I think it might be time to
adjust the documentation w.r.t. Travis CI (and add notes about the
GitHub Actions support), and possibly deprecate / remove things related
to Travis.

I'm opening up the discussion before simply blasting patches because I
may have overlooked something.  Maybe there is some way to continue to
use Travis.  Maybe I missed a program.  At a minimum, we would need to
s/travis-ci.org/travis-ci.com/g across the documentation above, but
perhaps we should take this moment to drop it (before the release branch
is cut).

Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?