[ovs-dev] [DISCUSS] CI discussion: travis-ci.org / travis-ci.com

Ilya Maximets i.maximets at ovn.org
Fri Jun 18 17:58:13 UTC 2021

On 6/18/21 1:49 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 12:25:34PM -0400, Aaron Conole wrote:
>> Recently, Travis-CI has retired the travis-ci.org service.  At the
>> moment, it is read-only.  In the future, it may disappear completely.
>>
>> Currently, Open vSwitch has public facing badges, and documentation,
>> which heavily refers to the Travis-CI service. (see the
>> submitting-patches.rst, testing.rst, and README.rst files).  Travis
>> support was formally added for the 2.4.0 release in August 2015, and had
>> been heavily used until the deprecation of the 'Free' support tier, in
>> Dec. 2020, at which point the project switched to using GitHub Actions
>> for most of the CI support.
>>
>> Notably, we still make use of Travis for ARM related builds, but as I
>> understand it the future of that service for FOSS projects is not so
>> clear.
>>
>> With that introduction out of the way, I think it might be time to
>> adjust the documentation w.r.t. Travis CI (and add notes about the
>> GitHub Actions support), and possibly deprecate / remove things related
>> to Travis.
>>
>> I'm opening up the discussion before simply blasting patches because I
>> may have overlooked something.  Maybe there is some way to continue to
>> use Travis.  Maybe I missed a program.  At a minimum, we would need to
>> s/travis-ci.org/travis-ci.com/g across the documentation above, but
>> perhaps we should take this moment to drop it (before the release branch
>> is cut).
>
> I think I'm in support of this change.  Lots of projects are switching
> to Github Actions.

+1
To be fair today I tried to give travis-ci.com one more chance and
triggered a build on my github account where I do have compute credits.
And it still waits to be scheduled for unknown reason.  It waits to be
scheduled for several hours now.

In general, Travis showed inability to communicate changes they are trying
to implement and non-friendly behavior in regards to open-source projects
several times during the last half+ of a year.  So, I think, we need to
just go ahead and clean up bits that are not currently working anyway.

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.