[ovs-dev] [PATCH V7 00/13] Netdev vxlan-decap offload
Van Haaren, Harry
harry.van.haaren at intel.com
Fri Jun 25 17:28:03 UTC 2021
> -----Original Message-----
> From: dev <ovs-dev-bounces at openvswitch.org> On Behalf Of Ilya Maximets
> Sent: Friday, June 25, 2021 4:26 PM
> To: Sriharsha Basavapatna <sriharsha.basavapatna at broadcom.com>; Ilya Maximets
> <i.maximets at ovn.org>
> Cc: Eli Britstein <elibr at nvidia.com>; ovs dev <dev at openvswitch.org>; Ivan Malov
> <Ivan.Malov at oktetlabs.ru>; Majd Dibbiny <majd at nvidia.com>
> Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] [PATCH V7 00/13] Netdev vxlan-decap offload
<snip commit message detail>
> >> That looks good to me. So, I guess, Harsha, we're waiting for
> >> your review/tests here.
> > Thanks Ilya and Eli, looks good to me; I've also tested it and it works fine.
> > -Harsha
> Thanks, everyone. Applied to master.
Hi Ilya and OVS Community,
There are open questions around this patchset, why has it been merged?
Earlier today, new concerns were raised by Cian around the negative performance impact of these code changes:
Both you (Ilya) and Eli responded, and I was following the conversation. Various code changes were suggested,
and some may seem like they might work, Eli mentioned some solutions might not work due to the hardware:
I was processing both your comments and input, and planning a technical reply later today.
- suggestions: https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2021-June/384446.html
- concerns around hw: https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2021-June/384464.html
Keep in mind that there are open performance issues to be worked out, that have not been resolved at this point in the conversation.
There is no agreement on solutions, nor an agreement to ignore the performance degradation, or to try resolve this degradation later.
That these patches have been merged is inappropriate:
1) Not enough time given for responses (11 am concerns raised, 5pm merged without resolution? (Irish timezone))
2) Open question not addressed/resolved, resulting in a 6% known negative performance impact being merged.
3) Suggestions provided were not reviewed technically in detail (no technical collaboration or code-changes/patches reviewed)
I feel that the OVS process of allowing time for community review and collaboration was not adhered to in this instance.
As a result, code was merged that is known to cause performance degradation.
Therefore, this email is a request to revert these patches as they are not currently fit for inclusion in my opinion.
As next steps, I can propose the following:
1) Revert the patches from master branch
2) Continue technical discussion on how to avoid negative performance impact
3) Review solutions, allowing time for responses and replies
4) Merge a future revision of this patchset at a later date
> Best regards, Ilya Maximets.
More information about the dev