[ovs-dev] Historic bug: old LTS kernel panic, crashable via plain userland network traffic (iperf); Linux Test Project case?

Fotis Georgatos fotis.georgatos at epfl.ch
Fri Mar 12 01:44:21 UTC 2021

Hello,

( As discussed, I am adding in cc. some more audience up to dev at openvswitch.org<mailto:dev at openvswitch.org> )

TL;DR / Summary:
* At LTS kernel v4.19.0, I was able to send certain VMs into Kernel Panic remotely, by simply spamming them with slight traffic from user land:
  - In primis, rpm for LTS kernel 4.19.0 came via centos/elrepo, as-is; so this was a stock kernel, likely affecting several folks. I am surprised it passed QA from so many teams.
  - The bug inducing oneliner:
     * `echo 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128|xargs -n1 iperf3 -c <my_iperf_server> -P` ## `iperf3 -s` server was running on the crashing side
  - the effect was 100% reproducible with the above, falling apart at about 8 or 16 parallel processes, see [2] below for the stacktraces
  - the configuration involved a setup of just a couple k8s pods (i.e. containers) over my openstack provider; fyi. I don’t own the hardware resource, it was my upstream.
  - I established that it needed at least 2 nodes (VMs) _and_ openvswitch was part of the prerequisites for the crash (i.e. I could not reach kernel panic with the iperf server outside of the container)
  - perhaps a crucial piece of information would have been the openstack’s supervisor kernel & qemu version; alas, I don’t have that nor has it been readily available to me.

I may have difficulty today to reproduce it, but I think the simplicity of the test makes it very attractive for LTP, so I am sending this to see what kind of feedback we might collect.

cheers and thanks for reading so far,
Fotis

p.s. @Richard, a bit of feedback follows inline, thanks for the follow up.