[ovs-dev] Moving of the primary #openvswitch channel to irc.libera.chat ?

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Wed May 19 20:22:58 UTC 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 10:03:57PM +0200, Ilya Maximets wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Taking into account some very unhealthy things that happened recently
> with FreeNode network and resigning of lots of its stuff [1], we
> probably need to discuss if Open vSwitch project wants to change the
> IRC server for a primary #openvswitch channel.  User's data is the
> main concern, IIUC, as it's unclear what the new management will
> do with the network.
>
> The main alternative now seems to be the Libera.Chat [2] where most of
> the former FreeNode stuff.
>
> Some projects already announced [3][4] movement to Libera.Chat.  Others
> are discussing the possibility [5].
>
> So, I think, it make sense to discuss the future of #openvswitch
> channel too.  Any thoughts?
>
> Will we have an OVN meeting on a different server tomorrow?

Thanks for sending such a detailed message (with footnotes!).
I think I support the move.  I have already registered the #openvswitch
channel on libera.chat (and copied the topic across).

I'm going to log in on both servers tomorrow but I suggest that we
transition to libera.chat after tomorrow's meeting, since this is pretty
short notice and I think that most of us (including me) are only light
users of IRC.

Also, I suspect that the infrastructure for recording meetings has not
yet moved to libera.chat.  (I did notice that the 'openstack' user just
dropped out of #openvswitch.  I think that's the bot that did the
meeting recordings.  So maybe that infastructure is moving across right
as I write.)