[ovs-dev] OVN release proposals 3/3: Make 22.03 release series an LTS

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Mon Nov 22 21:59:48 UTC 2021

Development in the 21.09 cycle of OVN saw an unprecedented push towards
performance and scalability improvements. Development in the 21.12 cycle
has seen stability enhancements and even more performance improvements.
It's reached the point where I think it would be safe (and a good idea)
to label 22.03 as an LTS release.

As a reminder of what an LTS release is:
"An LTS release is one that the OVN project has designated as being
maintained for a longer period of time.  Currently, an LTS release is
maintained until the next LTS is chosen."

This means that we would continue to maintain 22.03 even after the
following release is made. It's unknown how long the support will go,
since it is unknown which release will be the next LTS. The next LTS
will likely be chosen when some milestone or milestones have been
reached, and those milestones have had time to stabilize. I suspect this
will require us to support 22.03 for multiple years.

The rationale for this proposal is to give users a version they can feel
safe using for multiple years, receiving bug fixes during that whole time.

Please respond with your thoughts on this proposal.