[ovs-discuss] sFlow

Neil Mckee neil.mckee at inmon.com
Sat Aug 29 05:38:01 UTC 2009

The sFlow SNMP MIB,  while very useful,  is optional.  It can be
ignored for now.

The only counter-block you really need is the "generic" one,  which
exports the basic MIB-II ifTable counters as a single snapshot.  I can
see that this might be awkward because these counters must be updated
with every packet,  in the fast-path.   Still,  you'll probably be
expected to provide them eventually one way or another.

The simplest sampling implementation is usually to have just one
packet-sampler for the whole switch,  and the critical path there is
just to decrement the countdown to the next sample,  so that part is
not going to slow you down at all.  I guess it's just a question of
figuring out the best way to queue the samples for processing in user-
space.

There are patents involved,  yes,  but the main sFlow license should
not be an obstacle (http://www.sflow.org/developers/licensing.php).
The license you were looking at was specific to the virtual probe
implementation.    I'll check what we need to do to,  but it looks
like it's probably enough for me to say in writing that you are
welcome to use that code as long as you conform to the main sFlow
license.  You'll probably rewrite the code anyway :).  Our main goal
in putting it out there was just to say "wow, look how easy this is".

regards,
Neil