[ovs-discuss] Assistance with setting-up Open vSwitch
asydney at k-state.edu
Mon Dec 21 22:31:57 UTC 2009
I have just started experimenting with open vswitch and my objective is to use a linux host as an openflow switch and manage this switch using an openflow controller. However, I am having difficulties building the switch. Please take note of the following 6 points and I would appreciate it if you could provide responses accordingly:
Note: All points are related to the document "INSTALL.Linux" found in openvswitch-0.90.7.tar.gz file.
1. I am running Fedora 10 (220.127.116.11-170.2.117.fc10.x86_64)
2. I am pretty sure that I have all the requirements from the "INSTALL.Linux" file
3. From the "Building and Installing Open vSwitch for Linux" section I attempted to run the following configuration command:
./configure --with-l26=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build --enable-ssl=yes
I am assuming that this command allows me to obtain a kernel based switch which will be managed by an openflow controller. However, below is a snapshot of the 2 errors obtained:
checking for SSL... no
configure: WARNING: Cannot find libssl:
No package 'libssl' found
OpenFlow connections over SSL will not be supported.
checking for /lib/modules/18.104.22.168-170.2.117.fc10.x86_64/build directory... no
configure: error: source dir /lib/modules/22.214.171.124-170.2.117.fc10.x86_64/build doesn't exist
Now I know that OpenSSL (The package which contains libssl) is installed (because I have checked on the installed version "OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007"). Can you please provide some idea as to why I would be encountering this problem? Also, is it a MUST to install a "kernel" based switch to obtain MAXIMUM switch performance?
4. To bypass these 2 errors, I simply run "./configure," then "make," and "make install." Everything seems to have worked fine.
5. Now, I have setup a simple configuration file with a bridge named "lucia" which has three external ports.
6. Below is the 4 final lines in the output of the command "#ovs-vswitchd":
Dec 21 16:14:46|00514|dpif|WARN|/dev/net/dp255: open failed (No such device or address)
Dec 21 16:14:46|00515|bridge|ERR|failed to delete datapath dp255: No such device or address
Dec 21 16:14:46|00516|dpif|WARN|/dev/net/dp0: open failed (No such device or address)
Dec 21 16:14:46|00517|bridge|ERR|failed to create datapath lucia: No such device or address
How do I define the device/bridge "lucia" and its 3 external ports (eth0, eth1, eth2)?
Thanks for your assistance.
More information about the discuss