[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch HotNets paper posted

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Mon Oct 5 19:08:12 UTC 2009

I've put up the camera-ready for the Open vSwitch HotNets paper,
which will be presented later this month, at:
        http://openvswitch.org/papers/hotnets2009.pdf
I also added a link to it from the documentation page.

Here is the abstract:

   The move to virtualization has created a new network access
layer residing on hosts that connects the various
VMs. Virtualized deployment environments impose requirements on
networking for which traditional models are not well suited. They
also provide advantages to the networking layer (such as software
flexibility and well-defined end host events) that are not
present in physical networks. To date, this new virtualization
network layer has been largely built around standard Ethernet
switching, but this technology neither satisfies these new
requirements nor leverages the available advantages.

   We present Open vSwitch, a network switch specifically built
for virtual environments. Open vSwitch differs from traditional
approaches in that it exports an external interface for
fine-grained control of configuration state and forwarding
behavior. We describe how Open vSwitch can be used to tackle
problems such as isolation in joint-tenant environments, mobility
across subnets, and distributing configuration and visibility
across hosts.