[ovs-discuss] Openvswitch: Rules matching ports behaving strangely - Rules translation problem?

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Oct 20 05:16:30 UTC 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Andreas Wundsam wrote:

> - I am running vswitchd, brcompatd, and openflowd with following
> configuration:
> /usr/local/sbin/ovs-vswitchd --pidfile --detach -vANY:syslog:EMER
> /etc/ovs-vswitchd.conf
> /usr/local/sbin/ovs-brcompatd --pidfile --detach -vANY:syslog:EMER
> /etc/ovs-vswitchd.conf
> ovs-openflowd --out-of-band --datapath-id 000000000003 --fail=closed
> dp4
> --listen=ptcp: tcp:172.16.0.10

Ah, ovs-openflowd and ovs-vswitchd are not meant to be run together.
ovs-openflowd is meant to be used as a drop-in replacement for the
OpenFlow reference implementation.  It provides the same functionality
as the ofprotocol daemon (originally called secchan).

ovs-vswitchd is meant to be a more full-featured software-based switch
that can be remotely managed by an OpenFlow controller.  To have ovs-
vswitchd connect to an OpenFlow controller, look at the
"mgmt.controller" or "bridge.<bridge_name>.controller" keys in the ovs-
vswitchd.conf man page.  If you don't need OpenFlow reference code
compatibility (and I don't imagine you do), I'd recommend using ovs-
vswitchd.

--Justin