[ovs-discuss] Experimenting with vSwitch

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Oct 22 22:13:44 UTC 2009

Hi, Michael.  As we discussed offline, OVS should be a seamless drop-
in replacement for the XenServer switch, so it can be hard to
determine if it's running.  The easiest way is with the "service
vswitch status" command, which will print something similar to the
following if everything is installed and working properly:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
ovs-vswitchd (pid 4907) is running...
ovs-brcompatd (pid 4924) is running...
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Your configuration and stats should appear as they always do in
XenCenter.  To enable features that are not configurable through
XenCenter (e.g., traffic mirroring and NetFlow), please look at the
ovs-vswitchd.conf man page:

	http://openvswitch.org/cgi-bin/ovsman.cgi?page=vswitchd%2Fovs-vswitchd.conf.5

A centralized controller for implementing a distributed virtual switch
is being developed, which will wrap all of that monitoring and control
into a single GUI.  That's all I can say about it at the moment for
now, though.

If you have any questions, please let us know!

--Justin