[ovs-discuss] Question about Ethernet over GRE

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Oct 27 20:03:46 UTC 2009

On Oct 27, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Huy Nguyen wrote:

> At the openvswitch main page, I saw this feature mentioned as under
> development. How can I learn more about this feature? Can someone
> point me to the new code or a functional specs if available?

We are planning to implement this feature in the next couple of weeks,
so all the details have not fully been worked out yet.  The rough plan
is that an administrator will be able to define a virtual port that
will define a GRE endpoint and key in the OVS configuration file.
That virtual port can then be added to an OVS bridge over which
Ethernet frames will be sent and received.

> On Linux, packet coming from a gre tunnel interface does not have a
> real MAC header. I'm curious of what is the plan to be able to
> bridge gre tunnel interfaces if that is what being developed?

Support for Ethernet over GRE tunnels was added to Linux 2.6.28.  I
haven't had a chance to play with them yet, but I would expect the
frames to be able to just be sent and received over the interface that
is created when the GRE tunnel is created by OVS.

--Justin