[ovs-discuss] general question with configuration and qos

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Apr 8 07:43:05 UTC 2010

Hi, Patrick.  Open vSwitch, itself, does not provide a way to centralize configuration of virtual ports and VMs.  Since OVS supports the OpenFlow protocol, it is possible to write such an application on a platform such as NOX (http://noxrepo.org).  As discussed in the paper, we have written such an application, but it is not available as an open source project.

OVS has supported traffic policing for quite a while.  If you are using one of the "official" releases, you should find a description of how to configure it in the "Interface Rate-Limiting" section of the ovs-vswitchd.conf man page.  If you are working from the "master" branch of the git tree, then you will need a special incantation for ovs-vsctl command, since it's not documented yet.  Let us know if you need that soon, and we'll bump up documenting it on our priority list.  In general, we've found that tuning policing to do what you want is kind of tricky, so it will take some trial and error.

Getting around to adding QoS support has taken a lot longer than we'd hoped.  We have an internal deadline that will require it in the next couple of months.  Stay tuned, and we should have some announcements about that before too long.

--Justin