[ovs-discuss] Q: network(s) isolation

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Fri Apr 9 08:08:12 UTC 2010

On Apr 8, 2010, at 2:12 AM, Alexey I. Froloff wrote:

>> Would you be able to send me the vconfig and brctl commands
>> that you're using now?  I'm not sure if this will help you at
>> all, but on Monday, we added support to the ovs-vsctl command
>> for declaring access ports.
> Yes, I've seen it yesterday, now it's more clear.  Here's my
> "scripts":
>
> [ Trimmed out scripts.]
>
> Am I right?

That all looks correct to me!  As you no doubt discovered from poking around the configuration, OVS doesn't support STP currently.  Be careful not to introduce any loops in your network.

>> By the way, I don't think you'll need a controller for any of
>> this.  You would only need that if you want to be able to
>> dynamically adjust the traffic that is flowing through your
>> network.  What you've described, seems pretty static at this
>> point.
> Once created, these "virtual networks" are pretty static, yes.
> But I want to hide VLAN tags from my internal network.  We have a
> limitation on what tags are passed through our switches and in
> best case we can have 1000 VLANs maximum (CISCO is so CISCO).  I
> was thinking about something like "distributed switch mode", if
> this thing exists in Open vSwitch.

That makes sense.  Open vSwitch does not provide that capability in and of itself; you would need some sort of centralized controller to manage that.  While a big undertaking, it is possible to do that with OpenFlow and the management protocol (defined in ovsdb/SPECS).

--Justin