[ovs-discuss] about network connection problem of openvswitch

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Sun Apr 11 18:19:14 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Xin Wang <openvswitch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have installed openvswitch on VMware (linux system), and I followed the
> instruction to replace it for a linux kernel bridge.
> mmm at ubuntu:~/openvswitch-0.99.2$ cat /etc/ovs-vswitchd.conf
> bridge.bri.port=bri
> bridge.bri.port=eth0
> mmm at ubuntu:~/openvswitch-0.99.2
>
> However, after setting up the bridge and interface, the internet connection
> in VMware seems down because I can not open any website through firefox in
> VMware. I have no idea what the problem is.

You need to move your IP address from eth0 to bri.  The switch will take the
packets from eth0 before they make it to the IP stack, which is why you have
the local port.

> In addition, I am also wondering how to test the software, like to build a
> VLAN from several virtual machines installed in different laptops and
> communicate to each other.

 Take a look at the section "Untagged VLAN Ports" in the ovs-vswitchd.conf
man page.  I would make sure that you have basic connectivity first though.