[ovs-discuss] flow hash calculation in open vswitch.

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Apr 15 16:14:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 03:14:06AM -0400, mandar284 at aim.com wrote:
> what is the significance of using two hash flow tables, kernel space
> and user space?
> can you please point out method where the packet verdict ( drop /
> normal ) is taken after flow match ?

The userspace table is more general.  It supports wildcards.  The kernel
table supports only exact-match.  (If I were going to add support for
port ranges, I would do it in the userspace table only.)

There is no "verdict" per se.  If a flow has no associated actions, then
that effectively drops packets.