[ovs-discuss] How to create VLAN in the same Physical Machine

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Thu Aug 5 19:36:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Nikos Bregiannis <nikos.bre at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a machine with 6 ethernet card inside.
> I want to test the configuration you have in the site
> http://openvswitch.org/?page_id=146 with the only difference that i dont
> need the Management Network Cloud.
>
> My configuration
>
> ETH0: br0 with ports --tap0 (tag=1)
>                      --tap1 (tag=2)
>                      --eth0
>
> ETH1:br1 with ports --tap2 (tag=1)
>                     --tap3 (tag-2)
>                     --eth1
>
> Now you say that the ports that data network connects the 2 hosts (in my
> case the two interfaces) must be configured as VLAN trunks. By default ovs
> does that but how do i connect the two interfaces over a virtual switch ?

I believe you are referring to the text on the page that says "All switch
ports on this physical network must be configured as VLAN trunks
(configuring your physical switching hardware is beyond the scope of this
document)."

This is just a reminder that the physical switch connecting your two
machines must be configured to carry VLAN tagged traffic.  Most VLAN-aware
switches will let ports carry VLAN tagged traffic by default.  I will update
the page to reflect this.

You do not need to configure any virtual interfaces on the host.

Dan