[ovs-discuss] How to create VLAN in the same Physical Machine

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Aug 5 21:35:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 02:31:28PM -0700, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
> The easiest thing to do here is to connect both eth0 and eth1 to the same
> physical switch (as I mentioned previously, this physical switch must
> support VLAN forwarding).

I don't think that special support for VLANs in the physical switch is
necessary.  There are some advantages, if it has it, e.g. it would allow
the full 1500-byte MTU, it would partition the learning table on the
basis of VLAN, and it could have support for turning off flooding on
selected VLANs so that RSPAN can work.  But I think that simple cases
should work fine with cheap desktop switches.