[ovs-discuss] Do I have to configure switches as VLAN trunks to set up VLANs for VMs?

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Fri Aug 6 22:58:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM, 陈文龙 <qzchenwl at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I could take use of GRE to make VLAN across routers.
>
> Cisco ,VMware, EMC support Long Distance Live Migration, which make it
> possible to migrate VM over Layer 3.
>
> I just want to see if OvS support it too. Or something like that.

Please keep discussions on the list.  I have moved it back to discuss at .

It is possible to create a GRE tunnel between two machines that are on
different sides of a router.  It is also possible to put vlans inside of the
tunnel or have multiple tunnels.  This would solve the problem you presented
in your diagram.  However, I wouldn't really characterize this as having a
vlan cross a router boundary.  This is an L3 tunnel with no router inside of
it.