[ovs-discuss] Ethernet over GRE tunneling?

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Aug 18 22:16:38 UTC 2010

2010/8/11 Yuji IMAI <kimai at labs.fujitsu.com>

> Hi
>
>  Do you have any performance numbers open for community?
>
>  We are just planning to compare VM to VM tunnel performance among
> IPinIP/linux/Dom-U/Xen as virtual router, using gretap/linux/Dom-0 and
> gre/openvSwitch/Dom-0/Xen. If you have any such performance measurements
> already, we want to do them with parameters and environment as same as
> possible.

We're planning on publishing some performance figures on our website once we
are able to fully document our testing methodology.  The performance is
affected by many factors, such as the hypervisor, type of packets, etc. and
raw numbers can be misleading without a description of the environment.  We
also have a number of optimizations in the development pipeline so we expect
to see even greater gains in the future.