[ovs-discuss] Cannot build Open vSwitch on XenServer 5.6

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Fri Aug 20 06:44:55 UTC 2010

On Aug 19, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 07:19 +0100, Justin Pettit wrote:
>> My guess is that you haven't installed the kernel source RPMs into the
>> DDK.  They're typically on one of the source ISOs with a name like
>> kernel-2.6.*.src.rpm.  I don't know why they're not included by
>> default in the DDK, either.  :-)
>
> The DDK comes preinstalled with the necessary kernel-{xen,kdump}-devel
> RPMs, which should be sufficient to build any out of tree modules, the
> full source should not be required.
>
> If those devel packages are missing then there is a bug in the DDK.

Yes, I think I was conflating two different issues.  A few weeks back, I needed to modify a XenServer kernel module and was surprised that the kernel sources were not included in the DDK.  This was unrelated to building OVS against XenServer for which one only needs the headers.  Sorry for the confusion.

--Justin