[ovs-discuss] Working with Citrix Xen Server 5.6.0

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Mon Aug 30 07:54:35 UTC 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 12:44 AM, 楊皓中(Mulder Yang) wrote:

> I have installed ovs 1.0.1 on Xenserver 5.6.0. I am really confuse about some questions.
> Q1. After I input” ovs-vsctl add-br br0 “ this command, should I see any changes in the Network tab of Xen Center ? Do I need to do anything else?

No, since XenCenter doesn't know anything about it.  If you want to create networks that XenCenter knows about, you should create them there.

> Q2. Why the vif will disappear after I shut the VM down? And After I power-on the vm , the name of vif will change. Ex vif1.0->vif2.0 and so on.

In XenServer, a VIF is named "vif" + dom_id + iface_index.  Each time a VM boots (or reboots), the dom_id increments.

> Q3. If the vif will disappear and change name , how can I add the vif to the bridge that ovs-vsctl created?

As mentioned earlier, you shouldn't need to create your own bridges.  If you have your XenServer correctly configured to use Open vSwitch, then XenServer will create all the bridges and attach interfaces to them as needed; you shouldn't need to do any manual configuration of basic networking.

--Justin