[ovs-discuss] ubuntu openvswitch gre interface

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Dec 9 17:18:39 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 09:07:38PM +0800, CS Lee wrote:
> Has anyone tried to create gre interface using openvswitch on Ubuntu, I have
> followed the instruction here -
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@openvswitch.org/msg00356.html

There's a simpler way:
ovs-vsctl add-port br0 gre -- set interface gre type=gre options:remote_ip=x.x.x.x

> However interface gre0 doesn't show up in ifconfig.

No, it won't.  The Open vSwitch implementation of GRE doesn't create
Linux network devices.

> By the way, when I created the virtual interface, say for example vi1.0, I
> need to specify the type=internal, otherwise the vi1.0 interface is not
> shown in ifconfig as well.

That's correct, if you want to create a virtual network device, then you
need to make it an internal device.