[ovs-discuss] KVM, OpenVswitch and VLANs in VMs

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Dec 16 17:23:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 04:38:20PM +0200, Любомир Йотов wrote:
> So far I can create the VMs and start some services on them but my
> problem is that I cannot add the VLANs to the VMs. I want ot be able
> to add and remove VLANs in VM3 without stopping the network service to
> the already working VLANs or without restarting the VM.  At the moment
> I am trying to achive this using Open vSwitch or linux native
> bridging. I also want to be able to connect to the Host Management
> over a VLAN through ETH0 on the host.  Do you think that this scheme
> is possible and how can I configure it?

It should be possible to dynamically adjust the VLANs handled by a
particular port by changing the "trunks" column in the "Port" table for
the port connected to the VM.  See
http://openvswitch.org/ovs-vswitchd.conf.db.5.pdf for a description of
that table and column.

I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work.