[ovs-discuss] Problem with a desired flow getting deleted

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Feb 15 20:28:56 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Todd Deshane <deshantm at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, with this in place, is there any reason why this flow is being deleted:
>
> Feb 13 22:24:23|746001|dpif|DBG|dp0: delete flow in_port0000:vlan65535
> mac00:11:22:bb:aa:dd->00:1c:0f:95:1d:42 type0800 proto17
> ip128.153.144.73->128.153.N.N port51679->53, packets:0, bytes:0,
> used:never

This is not a bug.  OVS internally creates exact match flows from the
wildcard entries for performance.  After 5 seconds of inactivity these flows
are automatically removed but will be recreated if more traffic reappears.
 All this message means is there was traffic but it has not been seen in the
last 5 seconds.  Note that it is a debug message, not any kind of warning.

> This testing is all after a fresh reboot, and only loading the switch
> with the config given above, then just simply trying to get the host's
> networking to work. Note that for this particular test, I did not
> delete or add any flows form the default setup of the switch. The only
> way that I have found that I can get networking to work is to dpctl
> del-if externalbr eth0, then restart networking on eth0.
>
> Any ideas or things for me to try?

Again, ovs-dpctl dump-flows is your friend.  It will show you the currently
active flows as well as the actions.  You must run it while there is traffic
on the network due to the 5 second timeout.