[ovs-discuss] Tr : IEEE 802.1ad

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Jan 21 02:31:42 UTC 2010

There's been some discussion about adding some sort of double-tagging to OVS, but we haven't finalized an approach yet.  Double-tagging seems like such a simple proposal, but it's not been well standardized.

I haven't used ebtables much, but I don't think it will work with OVS.  OVS "steals" the bridge's kernel hooks to receive packets, so the two cannot be run simultaneously.  I believe ebtables depends on the bridge, and we haven't implemented a compatibility layer to their bridge-netfilter architecture.  Our hope is that OVS will provide enough features so that ebtables won't be needed.  (There has been some discussion about upstreaming OVS, which would allow a more elegant method of receiving packets and possibly allow both to run simultaneously.)

--Justin