[ovs-discuss] ovs and OF vendor extension messages

Rob Sherwood rob.sherwood at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 6 19:36:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Justin Pettit <jpettit at nicira.com> wrote:
> Yes, you are right that none of the current OVS vendor extensions are initiated from the switch-side.  I saw the message from Namgon on the OpenFlow mailing list, and an older version of OVS (0.99.0) is being used.  That version contains our first stab at a management protocol, which used OpenFlow for framing and initiated connections from the switch.  In later versions, we replaced that with a JSON-RPC management protocol that runs on port 6632/TCP.

Good to hear: the fix to handle this in FV has just been pushed into master.

> Obviously, I can't commit to never having any switch-side initiation of vendor extensions, but we don't have any plans for them at the moment.

Understood.  I'm hoping that if/when that happens, there will be some
identifying information in the message that I can use to demux to a
slice, but let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thanks for the (very) fast response,

- Rob
.