[ovs-discuss] Can open vswitch replace libipq?

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Jul 27 23:03:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:49:03PM -0700, Hardeep Uppal wrote:
> I am trying to find if Open vSwitch can be used to replace libipq? I am
> currently using libipq for iptables userspace packet queuing. The
> performance of libipq is not that great and I was wondering if Open vSwitch
> can be used for iptables packet queuing? Is there an Open vSwitch api that a
> user code can make calls to receive packets from a queue, modify the packet
> and reinject it back into the kernel.

Yes, you could probably do this or something similar with Open vSwitch.
It has all of the right interfaces for receiving a packet from the
kernel and then reinjecting it.  However, it is not a design goal of
Open vSwitch to do this kind of this at a high rate.  Instead, Open
vSwitch tries to install flows directly into the kernel so that packets
don't have to go to userspace at all.  So I'd have no reason to guess
that OVS would be better at this than another interface that is designed
for the purpose.