[ovs-discuss] Fail getting started with openvswitch

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Jun 4 23:50:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 01:44:02AM +0200, Jean Baptiste FAVRE wrote:
> 00:14:24 remus kernel: [ 89.783084] Modules linked in: bridge(+) stp
> ocfs2_dlmfs ocfs2_stack_o2cb ocfs2_dlm ocfs2_nodemanager
> ocfs2_stackglue configfs ib_iser rdma_cm ib_cm iw_cm ib_sa ib_mad
> ib_core ib_addr iscsi_tcp libiscsi_tcp libiscsi scsi_transport_iscsi
> nfs lockd fscache nfs_acl auth_rpcgss sunrpc bonding blktap
> xen_netfront netxen_nic xen_evtchn xenfs hwmon_vid drbd cn
> firewire_sbp2 firewire_core crc_itu_t loop openvswitch_mod evdev
> snd_pcm snd_timer snd soundcore snd_page_alloc pcspkr edac_core
> edac_mce_amd shpchp pci_hotplug wmi video output asus_atk0110
> processor button i2c_nforce2 i2c_core ext3 jbd mbcache dm_mirror
> dm_region_hash dm_log dm_snapshot dm_mod raid1 raid0 md_mod sd_mod
> crc_t10dif ata_generic ahci pata_amd sky2 libata r8169 mii ohci_hcd
> ehci_hcd e1000e scsi_mod usbcore nls_base thermal fan thermal_sys
> [last unloaded: scsi_wait_scan]

Somehow you managed to load both the bridge and the openvswitch module.
This won't work and will cause kernel panics (as you can see).

The newest version of Open vSwitch in Git prevents this from happening,
so you might want to upgrade.  Alternatively, I guess we will probably
release a v1.0.2 in a week or two that will include this fix too.