[ovs-discuss] Fail getting started with openvswitch

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Sat Jun 5 00:06:22 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 01:59:46AM +0200, Jean Baptiste FAVRE wrote:
> In terms of configuration, shall I keep br-wan and br-lan defined into
> /etc/network/interfaces or have I to move it to Open vSwitch ?

The Debian networking scripts don't know anything about Open vSwitch
(yet), so having them mentioned in /etc/network/interfaces won't have
any benefits and, as you can see, does have some downsides.

> It also seems I'll have to check Xen network scripts to make sure they
> do not call brctl (I've read about brcompat, but can not find it in
> debian 1.0.1 packages).

ovs-brcompatd should be built along with the Debian packages.  You
should be able to find it in the build directory, probably
_debian/vswitchd/ovs-brcompatd.  It's true that we don't install it into
the Debian packages.  That's because it was originally designed only to
make OVS compatible with XenServer 5.5.  If you try it and find it to be
helpful on Debian, let us know, and we can start including it in the
Debian packages as well.