[ovs-discuss] Fail getting started with openvswitch

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Sat Jun 5 01:31:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Jean Baptiste FAVRE
<openvswitch at jbfavre.org> wrote:
> Ok so I just have to define my bond0 and bond1 interface in
> /etc/network/interfaces ?
> Then, I have to setup an IP address to bond0 and bond1 so that I can
> reach my server.
> But finally, won't I have issues when Open vSwitch creates my bridge and
> add my bond interface in ?
>
> Before Open vSwitch install, I used to have IP address setted up on my
> bridges, not bond interfaces and I just wonder if network will still work.

You can use your bond0 and bond1 interfaces, or you can use the OVS bonding
feature, which is implemented entirely in Open vSwitch and does not
use the Linux
kernel bonding.

Normal practice under OVS is also to configure the IP address only on
the bridges.