[ovs-discuss] First tests results on a Xen 4 debian server

Jean Baptiste FAVRE openvswitch at jbfavre.org
Sun Jun 6 12:32:57 UTC 2010

Hello,
Finally got something working.
Still have some serious limitations, but I think it's related to the
lack of knowledge I have on open vSwitch ;-)

So, after Open vSwitch installation, I had to comment bridge setup in
/etc/network/interfaces. If not, bridge module is loaded and things end
with a kernel panic, soon or later.
So my /etc/network/interface looks like:
#############################
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    slaves eth0 eth2
    bond_mode active-backup
    bond_miimon 100
    bond_downdelay 200
    bond_updelay 200

auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
    slaves eth1 eth3
    bond_mode active-backup
    bond_miimon 100
    bond_downdelay 200
    bond_updelay 200
#############################

Then add openvswitch_mod into /etc/modules, as well as bridge in
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist (just in case of)

After reboot, log in server trough physical console and setup Open vSwitch:
ovs-vsctl add-br br-wan
ovs-vsctl add-port br-wan bond0

ovs-vsctl add-br br-lan
ovs-vsctl add-port br-lan bond1

Then setup IP addresses on bridges:
ifconfig br-wan ...
ifconfig br-lan ...

But, and that's my first real problem, I got no clean way to store IP
configuration. If I put it in /etc/network/interface, it won't work
because of bridge blacklist. If I remove blacklist, then I get kernel
panic. Erk... seems I got an issue here.

Nevermind, my Xen VM are properly registered with Open vSwitch. I made
some modifications to Xen script I'll summarize and publish as soon as
possible (so that I won't forget how I did ;-) )

If anybody has a solution for my IP adress problem, never know,

Regards,
JB