[ovs-discuss] First tests results on a Xen 4 debian server

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Sun Jun 6 19:42:35 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Jean Baptiste FAVRE <openvswitch at jbfavre.org
> wrote:
>
> So my /etc/network/interface looks like:
> #############################
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet manual
>    slaves eth0 eth2
>    bond_mode active-backup
>    bond_miimon 100
>    bond_downdelay 200
>    bond_updelay 200
>
> auto bond1
> iface bond1 inet manual
>    slaves eth1 eth3
>    bond_mode active-backup
>    bond_miimon 100
>    bond_downdelay 200
>    bond_updelay 200
> #############################

I wouldn't use Linux bonding with Open vSwitch.  Bonding has a number of
subtle interactions with the learning table.  If you don't use the OVS
native bonding it doesn't know that the port is a bond and therefore can't
handle these special cases.

> But, and that's my first real problem, I got no clean way to store IP
> configuration. If I put it in /etc/network/interface, it won't work
> because of bridge blacklist. If I remove blacklist, then I get kernel
> panic. Erk... seems I got an issue here.

It shouldn't be too hard to put the OVS initialization commands in an init
script (or just modify the existing ones that call out to brctl) so that
your network comes up on boot.  We currently have init scripts (and other
forms of integration) for XenServer but not for other forms of Xen.