[ovs-discuss] First tests results on a Xen 4 debian server

Jean Baptiste FAVRE openvswitch at jbfavre.org
Wed Jun 9 20:29:17 UTC 2010

Hello Jesse,
Sorry for late answer

On 06/06/2010 21:42, Jesse Gross wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Jean Baptiste FAVRE
> <openvswitch at jbfavre.org <mailto:openvswitch at jbfavre.org>> wrote:
>
>     So my /etc/network/interface looks like:
>     #############################
>     auto lo
>     iface lo inet loopback
>
>     auto bond0
>     iface bond0 inet manual
>        slaves eth0 eth2
>        bond_mode active-backup
>        bond_miimon 100
>        bond_downdelay 200
>        bond_updelay 200
>
>     auto bond1
>     iface bond1 inet manual
>        slaves eth1 eth3
>        bond_mode active-backup
>        bond_miimon 100
>        bond_downdelay 200
>        bond_updelay 200
>     #############################
>

> I wouldn't use Linux bonding with Open vSwitch.  Bonding has a number of
> subtle interactions with the learning table.  If you don't use the OVS
> native bonding it doesn't know that the port is a bond and therefore
> can't handle these special cases.
OK, did not know about possible bonding issues. Will investigate to
manage bonding through Open vSwitch so. Another topic to investigate ;-)

>     But, and that's my first real problem, I got no clean way to store IP
>     configuration. If I put it in /etc/network/interface, it won't work
>     because of bridge blacklist. If I remove blacklist, then I get kernel
>     panic. Erk... seems I got an issue here.
> It shouldn't be too hard to put the OVS initialization commands in an
> init script (or just modify the existing ones that call out to brctl) so
> that your network comes up on boot.  We currently have init scripts (and
> other forms of integration) for XenServer but not for other forms of Xen.

I'll have a look on init scripts for XenServer.
I don't like modifying init script which are managed from another
package. This is never a great solution because it may break future
upgrades.
But definitely, that could be a damn great feature to be able to manage
IP settings from Open vSwitch DB instead of hacking scripts ;-)

Thanks anyway for your answer,
JB