[ovs-discuss] can not create device problem

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Sat Jun 19 20:22:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 2:12 AM, Yan <yan.p.bjtu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jesse,
> I want to try GRE tunnel with OVS, and I follow the instruction here
> http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss@openvswitch.org/msg00356.html
> I unloaded ip_gre, however it doesn't work.
> since I have two nic in my machine with different IP so do i have
> to specify a local_ip?

Can you please cc the list when sending messages?  That way it can
potentially help other people.

You only need to specify local_ip if you are trying to distinguish two
tunnels that are otherwise the same.  Not specifying it will cause all
packets to be accepted by a particular tunnel.

> When I add a common interface into bridge I can see a msg from nox like
> |DBG:received port status event from 00ff002799f2
> But when I add a GREtap to bridge nothing can be seen.

When you say GREtap do you mean Linux GRE devices?  Those are not supported.
 When you use OVS GRE the type is simply "gre".

>  i want to know that does vswitchd deamon monitor the gre tunnel traffic
> from a physical interface since you mentioned that it is no longer necessary
> to load OVS GRE module.

It doesn't directly pull GRE traffic off the physical interface - OVS still
registers a protocol handler with the Linux IP stack for GRE.  The reason
why you no longer need to load a separate module is that GRE has been
directly integrated into the main openvswitch_mod.

> Would you please give more details about OVS's GRE?

If you are still having problems please post the exact commands you are
using and the output.