[ovs-discuss] OVS and KVM: getting persistent UUID's or querying UUID values based on interface name

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Thu Jun 24 20:02:04 UTC 2010

On Jun 23, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Sean Brady wrote:

> Is there any way to get UUID persistence for these virtual interfaces?  If not, is there a clean way to query the DB to get the UUID of a named port?  If I could just consistently get the UUID of the port using a shell script I can have this working when the VM is started up.

Great suggestion.  Ben is going to add support for retrieving the UUID through the ovs-vsctl command.  That should be added either today or tomorrow.

> P.S.: I am working on documenting this out, as well as my steps for using bridging with OVS and KVM.  If we decide it's helpful I am more than happy to contribute it.

That would be fantastic.  We know of a couple of people using KVM with OVS, but it would be great to have some official documentation for it.

Thanks!

--Justin