[ovs-discuss] OVS and KVM: getting persistent UUID's or querying UUID values based on interface name

Sean Brady sbrady at gtfservices.com
Thu Jun 24 20:27:01 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 02:02 PM, Justin Pettit wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Sean Brady wrote:
>

>> Is there any way to get UUID persistence for these virtual interfaces?  If not, is there a clean way to query the DB to get the UUID of a named port?  If I could just consistently get the UUID of the port using a shell script I can have this working when the VM is started up.
>>
> Great suggestion.  Ben is going to add support for retrieving the UUID through the ovs-vsctl command.  That should be added either today or tomorrow.
>

>> P.S.: I am working on documenting this out, as well as my steps for using bridging with OVS and KVM.  If we decide it's helpful I am more than happy to contribute it.
>>

> That would be fantastic.  We know of a couple of people using KVM with OVS, but it would be great to have some official documentation for it.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Justin

Excellent news, thanks all... ask and you shall receive :).  Is this
updated version going to be in the GIT master, and if so, is it stable
enough where I can pull it and test it out?  Are you thinking of
including this commit in the next tagged release, or doing an immediate
new tag commit?

I am hoping to have some of my testing written out in a rough format for
review here within the next few days.  How do you suggest that I send
those to you folks?  I don't want anything that could be inaccurate
getting indexed somewhere...