[ovs-discuss] Database configuration question (Was Re: Open vSwitch 0.99.2 Available)

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Thu Mar 4 16:57:58 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Todd Deshane <deshantm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Justin Pettit <jpettit at nicira.com>
> wrote:
> > Ben recently updated them in the "next" branch, and we're using them
> internally.  The "next" branch is what all future "stable" releases will be
> based on.  It uses a configuration database instead of a configuration file,
> so it's not really backwards-compatible from an end-user perspective.  What
> time frame are you working on?  The "next" branch isn't stable enough for
> production use yet, but basing a release on master may be confusing to users
> in the future.
>
> Will the database get rid of the need to kill -HUP the switch daemon?
>
> I'm working on a network wrapper interface for another project and I
> just wanted to get a basic sense for what I functionality it will need
> and how it will make use of the vswitches. Are there other changes
> related to basic usage that come along with this new configuration
> database management?

You'll now need to manipulate the configuration using a tool (ovs-vsctl)
rather than directly by hand.  Everything that you could do before with the
config file is exposed through this tool, so the basic usage hasn't changed
too much.  You won't need to HUP ovs-vswitch after changes, as it will
automatically reload.

ovs-vsctl actually existed in earlier releases but it was mostly used by
scripts.  It has been significantly expanded for the next release though.