[ovs-discuss] Open vswitch in a driver domain with PCI Passthrough

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Mar 23 16:40:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 08:10:44PM -0400, Todd Deshane wrote:
> Would it be possible to use open vswitch in a driver domain (Xen or
> KVM PCI Passthrough) in order to do all the networking outside of
> dom0?
>
> I couldn't think of a fundamentally limitation that would disallow it...

I don't know too much about driver domains.   Theory, yes; practice,
no.

If you can run the Linux bridge in a driver domain, then you should be
able to run Open vSwitch in a driver domain also.

> Also, similarly, is there, or could there be in the future, a way for
> an open vswitch to be used over the network? Meaning that a computer
> or VM connects over a special channel to get its networking. Kind of
> link how an open flow controller can be used on the network; I wonder
> if it is, or ever would be, possible to use an open vswitch over the
> network?

If you are looking for OpenFlow, then Open vSwitch supports OpenFlow.
Beyond that, if you want to configure Open vSwitch over the network,
Open vSwitch exports its configuration database over a custom protocol
called OVSDB that you can access over the network.  Of course, you can
also just ssh in.