[ovs-discuss] [Open vSwitch 0.99.2] Kernel panic with eth0 in the bridge

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Mar 29 14:24:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Amin Tootoonchian <amin at cs.toronto.edu>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> openvswitch_mod kernel module causes a kernel panic when it adds eth0
> to the bridge. It seems to run fine with all the interfaces except
> eth0 (which is connected to a switch). I verified that I have no
> problems with Linux bridging with the same set of interfaces. Do you
> know what is wrong?

OpenVZ adds a couple of extensions to the networking stack, including a new
bridge hook on transmit.  The version of the bridge in the OpenVZ kernel
knows how to handle these extensions, which is why it works fine.  Open
vSwitch doesn't support OpenVZ and doesn't set the transmit bridge hook
(probably other things too), which is why you get a null pointer deference.