[ovs-discuss] Q: network(s) isolation

Alexey I. Froloff raorn at altlinux.org
Wed Mar 31 08:47:42 UTC 2010

Hi.

I have several hardware nodes running bunch of VMs (libvirt+KVM)
and one machine acting as a router.  I want create several
(thousands) isolated networks, like:

HN1 is running VM101, VM103, VM202
HN2 is running VM102, VM201, VM301
HN3 is running VM302, VM303, VM203

VM1xx, VM2xx and VM3xx should be isolated from each other and I
want to see these isolated networks on HN0.  It would be nice if
I can easily filter and route network traffic between these
isolated networks.

HNs are connected through bonding interface (if that matters),
our Network Admin strongly suggests to avoid using VLANs.

Finally, I need opportunity to create and destroy VMs and
isolated networks by means of libvirt.

hotnets2009.pdf gives me hope that Open vSwitch is exactly what I
need, but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,    --
Sir Raorn.   --- http://thousandsofhate.blogspot.com/