[ovs-discuss] Openswitch VM to VM traffic switching

Praveen Reguraman preguraman at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:36:58 UTC 2010

Hi,
    I am beginner with Openvswitch and am trying to configure VMs and switch
traffic between them.

My setup:
              Ubuntu v 10.0.4 with KVM and virt-manager 0.8.2
              Openvswitch 0.99.2 - Compiled and installed including kernel
module. While installing the Openvswitch kernel module, I had disabled linux
bridge module.

Config:
          I have created br0 with Openvswitch using 'ovs-vsctl add-br br0'
and added eth0 to this bridge. I also created another bridge br1. I used
'ifconfig' to configure an IP to the bridge interfaces.

I am using virt-manager to create two instances of Ubuntu virtual machines.
While trying to create virtual machine, am trying to associate the virtual
NICs of the VMs to one of these bridges br0/br1. It consistently fails
throwing an error,
'br0 not a TAP device'. and VM install fails. Is it somehow trying to use
any user space module? Or anything wrong with the way I create the bridge?

I would like to create two VMs on bridge br1 and assign IPs to the virtual
NICs and be able to ping the other VM as a basic test.

Can someone help me out?

Cheers,
Praveen.