[ovs-discuss] Openswitch VM to VM traffic switching

Todd Deshane deshantm at gmail.com
Wed May 12 16:43:11 UTC 2010

Hi Praveen,

Comments inline.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:36 AM, Praveen Reguraman <preguraman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am beginner with Openvswitch and am trying to configure VMs and switch
> traffic between them.
> My setup:
>               Ubuntu v 10.0.4 with KVM and virt-manager 0.8.2
>               Openvswitch 0.99.2 - Compiled and installed including kernel
> module. While installing the Openvswitch kernel module, I had disabled linux
> bridge module.
> Config:
>           I have created br0 with Openvswitch using 'ovs-vsctl add-br br0'
> and added eth0 to this bridge. I also created another bridge br1. I used
> 'ifconfig' to configure an IP to the bridge interfaces.
> I am using virt-manager to create two instances of Ubuntu virtual machines.
> While trying to create virtual machine, am trying to associate the virtual
> NICs of the VMs to one of these bridges br0/br1. It consistently fails
> throwing an error,
> 'br0 not a TAP device'. and VM install fails. Is it somehow trying to use
> any user space module? Or anything wrong with the way I create the bridge?

I think the problem that you are running into is with how libvirt
brings up the networking on VMs.

Particularly, with qemu/KVM guests a qemu-ifup or kvm-ifup script is used.

My qemu-ifup and down scripts are below, but I was using 0.99.1, so I
think that you might
want to instead of working with the config file, run the appropriate
ovs-vsctl add-port command.

My guess is that it would be something like:

ovs-vsctl add-port ${switch} $1
(instead of the echo into the config file as I do below).

Similarly, you will need to del-port on qemu-ifdown

You man want to try using kvm directly and passing custom scripts manually

something like:
-net tap,script=custom-qemu-ifup,downscript=custom-qemu-ifdown

***qemu-ifup***
#!/bin/sh
switch='br0'
 '''sudo''' /sbin/ifconfig $1 0.0.0.0 up
echo "bridge.${switch}.port=$1" | sudo tee -a /etc/ovs/ovs-vswitchd.conf
exit 0

***qemu-ifdown***
#!/bin/sh
switch=externalbr
sed -i "/$1/d" /etc/ovs/ovs-vswitchd.conf
/sbin/ifconfig $1 0.0.0.0 down

> I would like to create two VMs on bridge br1 and assign IPs to the virtual
> NICs and be able to ping the other VM as a basic test.
> Can someone help me out?

I should be able to test myself soon, but let us know if you get it
working and we can try to help out more.

Thanks,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane